Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Father's Day Poems

Father's Day is fast approaching so I have once again done some digging through old books for various poems on our Dads :) I hope you find something you can use!!

I'll be posting a compliation of Father's Day Quotes soon so keep checking back :)

Enjoy!!


A Little Girl Needs Daddy

A little girl needs Daddy
For many, many things:
Like holding her high off the ground
Where the sunlight sings!

Like being the deep music
That tells her all is right
When she awakens frantic with
The terrors of the night.

Like being the great mountain
That rises in her heart
And shows her how she might get home
When all else falls apart.

Like giving her the love
That is her sea and air,
So diving deep or soaring high
She'll always find him there.

Be Kind To Thy Father

Be kind to thy father,f
or when thou wert young,
Who loved thee so fondly as he?

He caught the first accents that
fell from thy tongue,
And joined in thy innocent glee.

Butterfly Kisses

Written by Bob Carlisle & Randy Thomas

There's two things I know for sure.
She was sent here from heaven,
and she's daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night,
she talks to Jesus, and I close my eyes.
And I thank God for all of the joy in
my life, But most of all,
for...Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.
Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.

"Walk beside the pony daddy,it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny,daddy, but I sure tried.
"Oh, with all that I've done wrong,
I must have done something right
To deserve a hug every morning,
And butterfly kisses at night.

Sweet sixteen today,
She's looking like her mommaa little more everyday.
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and makeup,form ribbons and curls.
Trying her wings outin a great big world.
But I remember...Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.
Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.

"You know how much I love you daddy,
But if you don't mind,
I'm only going to kiss you on
the cheek this time.
"With all that I've done wrong
I must have done something right.
To deserve her love every morning,
And butterfly kisses at night.

All the precious time
Like the wind, the years go by
Precious butterfly
Spread your wings and fly
She'll change her name today.
She'll make a promise,
and I'll give her away.
Standing in the bride room
just staring at her,
she asked me what I'm thinking,
and I said "I'm not sure,
I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl.
"Then she leaned over....and gave me....
Butterfly kisses, with her mama there
Sticking little flowers all up in her hair

"Walk me down the aisle, daddy,
it's just about time."
"Does my wedding gown look pretty, daddy?"
"Daddy, don't cry.
"With all that I've done wrong,
I must have done something right
To deserve her love every morning,
And butterfly kisses
I couldn't ask God for more, man, this is what love is
I know I've gotta let her go, but I'll always remember
Every hug in the morning, and butterfly kisses...


Daddy I Love You

Daddy, I love you
For all that you do.
I'll kiss you and hug you
'Cause you love me, too.
You feed me and need me
To teach you to play,
So smile 'cause I love you
On this Father's Day.

Daddy You Are The Best

Daddy you are the best, although you live in the west.
stay the way you are, while your driving your sports car.
You couldn't be a better dad oh yeah,
don't go driving around mad I love you for ever 'cause you'r really clever
Even though i push and shove I will still show all my love.

Olivia Elliott & Simeran Mason

Daddy's Girl

When you were young, pony-tailed,
face full of playful freckles,were you a daddy's girl?
I was. I still am.

Did you look to him for your security,
for love and attention,
for the understanding, and the patience you lacked
as a child?

My daddy was the center of my small world,
the focus of my affections,
the star that lit my life, shining bright.
Shining still in my heart.

The years have led me here,
weathered with maturity and responsibilities,
and I see more clearly now.
The hardships, burdens of love,
and all the small sacrifices he made for me,
for our family.

He created stability, a place to call home.
All the photographs I browse through
of a child long forgotten, scarcely remembered
smiling, so happy and so loved.

The mere thought of becoming that role model
is enough to send me cowering,
afraid...looking for guidance.
Turning to my father and my more for support,
advice, wise counsel, and for approval.

Grown up, I see differently now...
A new perspective of a man I have always known.
My heart is full, my emotions overpowering
just in the certainty of that bond.

He's been there for me through all the conflicts
helping me over the rough, ragged stones
of growing up.
My respect for him is unending,
faith is unbound, and love is unquestioning.

Even in the midst of all my imperfections, he is lenient,
ignoring the pitfalls, the downfalls, the shortcomings,
he just accepted me as I was, as I am.
The sheer purity of it leaves me awe-struck
and it lifts me up, it holds my head a little higher,
it keeps me in balance,
harmonizing with the world around me
beautifully, like an inspired masterpiece from the soul
of an honest man.

I am honored to know him,
to love him,
to be of him.
He's my hero,
and I am his daughter,
his little girl.

Fantasies

Fantasies, like words, await what's real,
Anchored only when attached to things.
The dream of fatherhood, that long-sought dawn,
Has now become the light of early morn,
Exact and merciless in what it brings:
Riches to which one can only kneel.
'Mid all the truths the package will reveal,
Sensing well the wonder as it sings,
Drawing well the world to which it's drawn,
A love beyond all words will give you wings,
Yielding joys beyond what you can feel.

Father

F is for firm.
A is for absent.
T is for time.
H is for hurt.
E is for even.
R is for repeat

FATHERS...

When the good Lord was creating Fathers
he started with a tall frame,
and a female angel nearby said, "
What kind of Father is that?

If you're going to make children so close to the ground,
why have you put Fathers up so high?

He won't be able to shoot a marble without kneeling,
tuck a child in bed without bending,
or even kiss a child without a lot of stooping."

And God smiled and said,
"Yes, but if I make him child-size,
who would children have to look up to?

And when God made a Father's hands,
they were large and sinewy.

And the angel shook her head sadly and said,
"Do you know what you are doing?
Large hands are clumsy.

They can't manage diaper pins, small buttons,
rubber bands on pony tails
or even remove splinterscaused by baseball bats."

And God smiled and said,
"I know, but they're large enough to hold everything
a small boy empties from his pockets at the end of a day.
.yet small enough to cup a child's face in his hands."

And then God molded long, slim legs and broad shoulders.

And the angel nearly had a heart attack.
"Boy this is the end of the week, all right,"
she clucked.
"Do you realize you just made a Father without a lap?
How is he going to pull a child close to him
without the kid falling between his legs?"

And God smiled and said,
"A Mother needs a lap.
A Father needs strong shoulders to pull a sled,
balance a child on a bicycle,
or hold a sleepy head on the way home from the circus."

God was in the middle of creating two of the largest feet
anyone had ever seen when the angel could contain herself no longer.

"That's not fair. Do you honestly think those large boats
are going to dig out of bed early
in the morning when the baby cries?
Or walk through a small birthday party
without crunching at least three of the guests?"

And God smiled and said,
"They'll work. You'll see.
They'll support a small child
who wants to ride a horse to Banbury Cross,
or scare off mice at the summer cabin,
or display shoes that will be a challenge to fill."

God worked throughout the night,
giving the Father few words,
but a firm, authoritative voice;
eyes that saw everything,
but remained calm and tolerant.

Finally, almost as an after-thought,
he added ~ tears.
Then he turned to the angel and said,
"Now are you satisfied
that he can love as much as a Mother?"

The angel shuteth up..

Fathers & Daughters

Fathers and daughters have a romance
That goes on for the rest of their lives,
Destined to ripen and age as they dance
Through the days of their husbands and wives.
Up near the surface their love is distinct,
Like a garden surveyed in the sun,
In which seedtime and full bloom are credibly linked
By a consciousness shared and hard won.
Deep down below, where the world is a dream,
And the dream is a world of its own,
All manner of memories the moments redeem
In a place where one's never alone.


Fathers are Wonderful People

Fathers are wonderful people
Too little understood,
And we do not sing their praises
As often as we should...

For, somehow, Father seems to be
The man who pays the bills,
While Mother binds up little hurts
And nurses all our ills...

And Father struggles daily
To live up to "HIS IMAGE"
As protector and provider
And "hero or the scrimmage"...

And perhaps that is the reason
We sometimes get the notion,
That Fathers are not subject
To the thing we call emotion,

But if you look inside Dad's heart,
Where no one else can see
You'll find he's sentimental
And as "soft" as he can be...

But he's so busy every day
In the grueling race of life,
He leaves the sentimental stuff
To his partner and his wife...
But Fathers are just WONDERFUL
In a million different ways,
And they merit loving compliments
And accolade of praise,

For the only reason Dad aspires
To fortune and success
Is to make the family proud of him
And to bring them happiness...

And like OUR HEAVENLY FATHER,
He's a guardian and a guide,
Someone that we can count on
To be ALWAYS ON OUR SIDE.

-Helen Steiner Rice

Fathers Can Be…

Fathers can be solitary mountains,
All their love rock-like, steep, and strong.
Though warm and caring, somehow they belong
Halfway home to mothers' bubbling fountains.
Each of us needs love that knows no quarter,
Reminding us of bonds that cross a border,
Strengthening our sense of right and wrong.

Happy Father's Day

A Dad is a person
who is loving and kind,
And often he knows
what you have on your mind.

He's someone who listens,
suggests, and defends.
A dad can be one
of your very best friends!

He's proud of your triumphs,
but when things go wrong,
A dad can be patient
and helpful and strong

In all that you do,
a dad's love plays a part.
There's always a place for him
deep in your heart.

And each year that passes,
you're even more glad,
More grateful and proud
just to call him your dad!

Thank you, Dad...for listening and caring,
for giving and sharing,
but, especially, for just being you!
Happy Father's Day.


It's a Dad kind of thing...

...to protect you and see
that the world treats you right,
To offer his willing assistance
any hour of the day or the night,

It's a dad kind of thing to stand by you
if one of your bubbles should burst,
To make sure you know you're important
and know that with him you come first,

To give you his all but still wonder
if there's something more he could do...
It's a dad kind of thing to keep showing
that he'll always be there for you.

Even though I'm on my own,
there's still a place in my heart
where I'll always be your little girl.
I Love You Daddy....

It Takes More Than Blood

It takes more than blood to be a dad.
Oh this is surely a proven fact.
I've seen men give his heart to a child...
Never once think of taking it back.

A Dad is the one who is always there;
He protects a child from all harm.
He gives a child the assurance that he
will be their anchor in any storm.

A real Dad is a man that teaches his child
all the things in life he needs to know.
He's the tower of strength a child leans on.
The source of love that helps them grow.

There are men that children call Daddy.
Oh, he is their shelter when it rains.
He showers them with unconditional love.
As if it were his blood in their veins.

Whenever you meet a Dad that redefines the word,
honor him with all the respect that is due.
Understand that he proudly wears this banner...
Because his heart is big enough for you.

It's sad but true that not all men understand
it takes more than blood to be a dad.
Someday if they wake up to their empty life...
They shall miss what they could have had.

To those men who will never be a dad..
No matter what they say or do.
It takes more than blood to possess that title...
And it's only found in a man like you.


Just Like His Dad

He wants to be like his Dad!
You men, Did you ever think, as you pause,
That the boy who watches your every move
Is building a set of laws?

He's molding a life you're the model for,
And whether it's good or bad,
Depends on the kind of example set
To the boy who'd be like his dad.

Would you have him go everywhere you go?
Have him do just the things you do?
And see everything that your eyes behold,
And woo all the gods you woo?

When you see the worship that shines in the eyes
Of your lovable little lad,
Could you rest content if he gets his wish
And grows to be like his dad?

Labor Of Love

A ready made family was by chance
Inevitable
By our labor of love romance
A husband, a father, a friend
In this great life that has no end'
Tis but a journey;
this circle of life
The joys of children and of wife
With stories told,
you watched them play
From winters snow to summers day
With their coats and trousers hung on a hook
Their pockets bulging out fat at the seem
A marble, a comb, a map, a pocketbook
Shared treasures of a little boys dream
The shoes of a Father you do fill
Not for fame or fortune;
Only your goodwill
With guidance and love they see all you do
The little child in themselves is in you too
As the hours, days, years go by
On your loving ways we do rely
In this great circle of life
A husband, a Father,
A friend
Our love for you knows no end.

- Julie Atwood

My Dad

When I was just a tiny kid,
Do you remember when,
The time you kissed my bruises,
Or cleaned by soiled chin?

You scrambled for the balls I hit,
(Short-winded more than not,)
Yet, every time we'd play a game,
You praised the "outs" I caught.

It seems like only yesterday,
You wiped away my tears,
And late at night I called your name,
To chase away my fears.

Though time has changed your handsome grip,
Your hair is snowy white,
You gait's a little slower now,
Thick glasses help your sight.

Oh, do I thirst for years gone by,
To be that growing lad,
Re-living all of the memories,
Of growing with my dad.

My Dad's Hands

Bedtime came, we were settling down,
I was holding one of my lads.
As I grasped him so tight,
I saw a strange sight:
My hands. . .they looked like my dad's!

I remember them well, those old gnarled hooks,
there was always a cracked nail or two.
And thanks to a hammer that strayed from its mark,
his thumb was a beautiful blue!

They were rough, I remember, incredibly tough,
as strong as a carpenter's vice.
But holding a scared little boy at night,
they seemed to me awfully nice!

The sight of those hands - how impressive it was
in the eyes of his little boy.
Other dads' hands were cleaner, it seemed
(the effects of their office employ).

I gave little thought in my formative years
of the reason for Dad's raspy mitts:
The love in the toil, the dirt and the oil,
rusty plumbing that gave those hands fits!

Thinking back, misty-eyed, and thinking ahead,
when one day my time is done.
The torch of love in my own wrinkled hands
will pass on to the hands of my son.

I don't mind the bruises, the scars here and there
or the hammer that just seemed to slip.
I want most of all when my son takes my hand,
to feel that love lies in the grip.

- David Kettler

My Hero

As I ponder the love that I saw in his eyes,
A Godly love, given without compromise....
I recall many times that he stood by my side,
And prodded me on with great vigor and pride.
His voice ever confident, firm and yet fair,
Always speaking with patience, tenderness and care.
The power and might of his hands was so sure,
I knew there was nothing we couldn't endure.
It's true, a few others provided insight,
Yet, he laid the foundation that kept me upright.
He's the grandest of men to have lived on this earth,
Although he's not royal by stature or birth.
He's a man of great dignity, honor and strength.
His merits are noble, and of admirable length.
He's far greater than all other men that I know,
He's my Dad, he's my mentor, my friend and hero.

- Debbie Hinton Young

MY HERO

Be they wise men or foolish, tycoons, dukes, or earls,
Paupers or preachers or thieves,
Most fathers are worshipped by their little girls
And, in childhood, each daughter believes
That the man she looks up to can do nothing wrong.
She relies on what children should know:
That Daddies are patient and kind, brave and strong . . .
But, alas, that is not always so.
For too often a little girl's dreams turn to dust
And her innocent faith starts to crumble
When a man proves unworthy of absolute trust
And she sees her dad falter and stumble.
With scorned fallen heroes the pathway is lined,
They suffer a lonely rejection . . .
But in this simple statement I hope you will find
My assurance that you're the exception.
If you lay down and quit you would not be denied
A reprieve for a much-deserved rest.
I would bring you a pillow and sit by your side,
Even then I would not love you less.
But I know you'll go on and continue the race
Until time has completed its course,
Still bearing the standard of courage and grace,
Firmly mounted upon your white horse.
You're a pillar of strength for your children and wife.
God forbid we should take you for granted,
For I've known I was loved every day of my life.
In my heart lies the truth that you planted.
Your unselfish love springs from a bottomless well
Toward the family you've nurtured and fed
And, if we couldn't speak, countless others could tell
How they've warmed in the light that you shed.
When counting the blessings I'm thankful are mine,
As so often I'm privileged to do,
In the group photograph among faces that shine
In the foreground's the image of you.
For your health and contentment I offer a prayer
With my love and a hope that is fervent,
Until God calls you home and He welcomes you there
With a loving, "Well done, faithful servant."

- Mary Sullivan

Parent's Murphy's Law

1. Parenting is a 24-hour-a-day job with no salary, no raises, no promotions and very few vacations.
2. Parents are responsible for everything that happens to their children.
3. Guilt and self-blame are occupational hazards.
4. Parents don't get worker's compensation or any other fringe benefits.
5. Parents can never retire...even when their kids ask them to.
6. Parents "don't get no respect"...until they die...and then it's too late.

- Bruce Lanksy

Perhaps…

Perhaps we'll never understand each other.
Loving doesn't mean that we agree.If that were so, then I would say, why bother?But there are things I know I'll never see.I'm sure your heart knows what I don't yet know:The pain of loving a reluctant son;The anger, coming fast and building slow,Of being helpless to control someone.You want only that I grow up right,But you know what right is, and I still don't.I have to learn to wield my inner light,And if I follow yours, well, then I won't.I'm sorry for the anger in the air;Though we fight, my love is always there.

Please Daddy, Let's Go

A little girl with shining eyes,
Her upturned face aglow,
Said, "Daddy, it's almost time
For Sunday School, you know;
Let's go and hear of Jesus' love
Of how He died for all,
To take them to His home above
Who on His name will call."
"Oh no," said Daddy, "Not to-day;
I've worked hard all the week;
And I must have one day of rest,
And fishing's find they say;
So run along, don't bother me,
We'll go ANOTHER day."
Months and years have passed away,
But Daddy hears that plea no more,
"Let's go to Sunday School...
"Those childish days are o'er.
And now that Daddy's growing old,
And life is almost through,
He finds some time to go to church,
BUT, what does daughter do?
She says, "Oh, daddy, not to-day.
Was out almost all night;
I've got to get a little sleep:
Besides, I look a fright.
"Then daddy lifts a trembling hand
To brush away the tears;
Again he hears that pleading voice,
Distinctly through the years,
He sees a small girl's upturned face,
Upturned with eyes aglow,
Saying, "It's time for Sunday School.
Please, daddy, won't you go?

The Little Chap Who Follows Me

A careful man I ought to be,
A little fellow follows me,
I do not dare to go astray
For fear he'll go the selfsame way.

I cannot once escape his eyes,
Whate'er he sees me do, he tries;
Like me, he says, he's going to be,
The little chap who follows me.

He thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of mine
The base in me he must not see,
The little chap who follows me.

I must remember as I go,
Through summer's fun and winter's snow,
In building for the years to be
The little chap who follows me!

The things you taught me...

The things you taught me I will always know.
How could I not? The roots have sunk so deep:
All lessons of the heart that I will keep
No matter who I am or where I go.
Kids learn from what their parents are, and so
You are my book of life, the thoughts I reap;
Only in your arms I quiet sleep;
Under my words your voice sings soft and slow.
From you I learned the rules of right and wrong
Against which I at times had to rebel,
Though with regret I carry with me still.
How lucky I am to have been loved so well,
Even as I pushed against your will,
Relying on a father fair and strong.

What Makes A Dad

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad

When I was:

Four years old: My daddy can do anything.
Five years old: My daddy knows a whole lot.
Six years old: My dad is smarter than your dad.
Eight years old: My dad doesn't know exactly everything.
Ten years old: In the olden days, when my dad grew up, things were sure different.
Twelve years old: Oh, well, naturally, Dad doesn't know anything about that. He is too old to remember his childhood.
Fourteen years old: Don't pay any attention to my dad. He is so old-fashioned.
Twenty-one years old: Him? My Lord, he's hopelessly out of date.
Twenty-five years old: Dad knows about it, but then he should, because he has been around so long.
Thirty years old: Maybe we should ask Dad what he thinks. After all, he's had a lot of experience.
Thirty-five years old: I'm not doing a single thing until I talk to Dad.
Forty years old: I wonder how Dad would have handled it. He was so wise.
Fifty years old: I'd give anything if Dad were here now so I could talk this over with him. Too bad I didn't appreciate how smart he was. I could have learned a lot from him.

- Ann Landers

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting those, Roni. I don't know about the rest of you, but making things and finding the right gifts for my dad is so hard!

    I especially like that last one from Ann Landers - so true!

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i love your post. You have a nice collection of fathers day poems, keep on sharing your poems.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!