Monday, January 3, 2011

Technique Calendar Prep.

It's time to prepare for the Technique Calendar we will be creating over the next couple weeks.

First and most important you will need to determine what your foundation will be and decide on a shape.  Last year was easy because we used CD's for the basic shape and foundation.  This year I am using recycled chipboard to use for my calendar base.  I have been collecting various food product boxes (cereal, crackers, etc) for this purpose.

As for the shape I thought I might like to use a die-cut shape to make it quick and easy but I realized I didn't have anything large enough.  So, plan B - hand cut pages.  I tried out several shapes and designs before I decided that a "ticket" shape would fit the bill nicely as it allows enough space for the calendar it's self and would be fairly easy to cut repeatedly.

Here is the basic idea I am going to work with.... Each page will be 4x6 finished size but I am cutting the chipboard 4x6.5 to allow an extra 1/4" on each side (to allow for a decorative edge).

Calendar Prep 004

Each page will be 4x6, have a hole at the top for hanging and be bound with my Bind-It-All.  You of course could use any variety of other binding methods you have available.

To cut the corners I used my circle punch as shown below.

Calendar Prep 008

Both ends were cut using a Deco blade for my rotary cutter.  If you don't have one of these you could also tear the edges, border punch, edge die-cutter or a pair of decorative edge scissors.

I also pre-cut all of the letters I would need for each month to help make assembling the pages quicker.

Calendar Prep 002

Now I will not cut the corners, edges or punch the binding holes until I have mounted both months on each page.  This makes for less work and ensures that each page matches it's mate.

You will also need to print out the actual calendar pages.  There are several web-sites that will help you with this. 

Calendar Prep 001

Here are a few links to get you started....

Cat - Splitcoast Stampers (this is the one I am using)

Crafty Secrets has some nifty Vintage looking Calendars.

There are a TON of 2001 Printable Calendars here in all shapes and sizes.

I also found Calendar Lab as well.  Never used it but sounds cool.

Now we're all set! 
Let's get going on the techniques!!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for your suggested links. I printed the vintage calendars, and am headed upstairs to make my page. This is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of your 'ticket' calendar! Not sure just what size I'll do..a bit larger maybe..getting old you know!! Actually so I can add a bit more embellies, maybe!??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!