Thursday, December 10, 2015

Watercolor StazOn Studio Glaze

Today I wanted to share a couple of fun watercolor techniques using StazOn Studio Glaze.  A couple of weeks ago I had a bit of free time over the weekend so I decided to play around with watercolor techniques.  Not often I get to do that now so I just wanted to experiment and have fun.   I decided to see what the Studio Glaze would look like on watercolor papers and here's what I did...


This was the first background I made - the colors are much more blended and have a "freer" feel to it.



1. Begin by wetting the entire piece of watercolor paper.


2. Squirt the desired colors of StazOn Studio Glaze onto the craft mat.  

3. I began by picking up the Bahama Blue glaze with my wet brush and coloring the upper two thirds of the piece of cardstock.  (love this color!)


4. Next I added a bit of water to the Gothic Purple Glaze and dabbed it just on the upper edge of the paper - see all the water puddles - more on this in a bit.

5. I then added water to the Silver Glaze and applied it to the bottom third that was left bare.

6. I then tilted and tapped the paper here and there while drying the paper with a heat tool to create the "drip" consistency I wanted.

7. Once it was all dry I added a bit of water to a small puddle of Midnight Blue glaze and "flicked" it over the entire panel.



This technique is more controlled and concentrated color wise as well.  The colors aren't nearly as blended or "watercolor-y" as the previous technique but still pretty in it's own way.


1. Again, wet the entire panel with water.

2. Squirt the glazes directly onto the wet watercolor paper as shown.


3. Gently blend the glazes with the tip of your brush (I like using my 1" wide brush for this) in water on the paper - try not to "mix it up" too much.  You're just going for a wet look - not watercolor.

4. Leave the paper laying on the craft mat, use the heat tool to "push" the color puddles around creating a lovely design.  You'll notice that there are bits of really intense colors.  This is where the glazes didn't completely break up in the water which is great because this helps with the intense colors.


Here is a photo of both techniques side by side -   the one on the left is the blended watercolor look of the first technique while the one on the right is more of a controlled quadrant color experiment.

Both panels were then embossed with snowflakes; adhered to a card base and a sentiment stamped along the bottom.

Which do you prefer?

I like them both for different reasons and waver between which one I like best.  
I suppose it depends on my mood of the day - LOL!!


Supplies:

IMAGINE Crafts - StazOn Studio Glaze; VersaMark Ink, White Embossing Powder, Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
Watercolor Paper
CTMH - Snowflake Stamps
JFF Stamps - Sentiments
Cardstock - Club Scrap

3 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS Roni, I was actually playing with my color burst and snowflake stamps today and my art panels came out very similar!! Can't wait to share what I have been working on. Great minds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Card! The glaze made such pretty backgrounds and looks fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!