Monday, July 25, 2016

DecoArt Americana DECOR Chalk Finish Painted Wedding Art

Today I wanted to the first steps of a little something I've been working on for my son and soon to be daughter in love.  The wedding is quickly approaching (8-6) so I need to get a move on.

I wanted to make something I could set up during the reception celebrating the kids marriage but I wanted it to be a keepsake as well.  I scoured Pinterest for ideas but didn't see anything that really caught my fancy so I decided to just wing it.


I had my Dad make me a very large frame...about 18"x22".  I had him make it with 2x2 square stock for the outer frame so there was a nice ledge - you'll see what I do with that later.  The opening is a approx. 9x11.


I choose to use DecoArt's Americana DECOR Chalky Finish paints.  In addition to the chalky finish it's got a nice matte look which is timeless.  I started off by giving the entire frame (front and back) a coat of white (Everlasting) paint.


After that paint had a day or so to dry, I taped off the outer part of the frame with a bit of painters tape.


It was then painted with the black (Carbon) chalk finish paint.
I removed the tape once finished and set it aside to dry.


After the black had dried for a couple days I taped that 2" ledge off.


And painted it with a beautiful blue (Legacy) color of chalk finish paint.
After the inside ledge had been painted I removed the tape and set it aside to dry.


The next step I wanted to add harlequin pattern to the inside portion of the frame. I used the DecoArt stencil but I needed to give it a bit of a trim so I could get close enough to the edge of my frame.


I used a jumbo sponge dauber to apply a bit of the blue (Legacy) paint through the stencil.  I allowed each section to dry before moving on to the next.  I repeated this until the entire inside portion of the frame had been "harlequined".  

That's where I have left off at the moment...
The harlequin design is drying and I'll pick it up here later in the week...

Supplies:
DecoArt - Americana DECOR Chalky Finish Paints: Carbon, Everlasting, Legacy; Harlequin Stencil
Wood Frame


2 comments:

  1. Oooooooh !! Can't wait to see what you are making :-D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting to see all that you worked on for the wedding...it is pretty close now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!